Detox baths can help with lots of things, one of them being the immune system!
To me there really isn't anything worse than a sick baby (or a house full of sick kids!). My kids aren't too bad when they are sick, and to be honest, I kind of enjoy the snuggles I get when they are. Though, when you have a little one who is coming down with a cold, they are usually super cranky, irritable, aren’t sleeping very well and, just an all-around hot mess!
So, what types of toxins are we talking about here?
Throughout our daily lives we are exposed to hundreds of toxins! They creep in through processed food, household products, and in the air we breathe. Then as these toxins build up in our body, they create a "toxin fatigue" which diminishes our body’s ability to function efficiently. Toxins interfere with the natural balance of hormones in our body and can cause imbalances.
Toxins are chemicals, heavy metals, pollutants, and heavily processed foods — which all negatively affect our health. Sadly, these toxins are found in all sorts of things we use every day! You'll find them in the food we eat, water we drink, our skin and haircare products, and any over the counter medicines we might take.
24 hours a day, 7 days week your body is working super hard to filter these toxins out. Depending on our level of exposure, our body can become overloaded with toxins, and we can begin to slow down and feel that "toxin fatigue" I mentioned earlier, UGH!
How do I recognize toxic fatigue?
These are a few signs a detox is in order...
- Unexplained exhaustion
- You feel like they are coming down with a cold more often than usual
- Irritability and headaches
- Trouble sleeping (insomnia could be a sign of liver overload)
- Skin Reactions: Rashes - Eczema - Acne
- Runny or stuffy nose
- Allergic Reactions (hives)
- Sneezing and coughing
Here are some of the BEST reasons to detox your littles:
1) Vaccines - If you recently took your little ones to get vaccinated. A Detox Bath is one of the BEST ways to flush out the icky ingredients used in vaccines. They accumulate in the body and will likely stay there if you don't do anything to help your body flush them out! Vaccines contain a hefty amount of those heavy metals we talked about earlier. A properly designed Detox Bath will include ingredients that have negatively charged ions to flush out those icky, heavy metals, and other toxins from our bodies.
2) Strengthen Immune System - Detox baths are great for the overall health of your children. Detox baths help rid the body of toxins that our kiddos are exposed to every day, which equals a stronger immune system.
3) Helps Promote Sleep - I see you mama, you are tired...those babies are tired and EVERYONE could benefit from a good nights rest. Another amazing benefit of the Epsom salt and Magnesium that is helps calm and relax the body, preparing it for sleep. When we are deficient in Magnesium it can cause restlessness. You can even kick this detox bath up a notch and add in some lavender essential oils, I usually don't, but it's a personal preference.
The Natural Mama's Detox Bath Recipe -
- Epson Salt – 2 Tablespoons
- Magnesium Flakes or Oil – 2 Tablespoons
- Bentonite Clay – 2 Teaspoons
- Baking Soda - 1/4 of a cup
I start by mixing all of my ingredients up in a small bowl, then run a warm bath. As the bath is filling, sprinkle the ingredients in and mix around with your hand. If you have a little one whom you are giving this bath too, please be careful as the Bentonite Clay can make the tub a little slippery.
Dosage and Usage Guidelines:
For Babies (6-12 months):
- Use only half of the recommended amounts for each ingredient.
- Limit the bath duration to 10 minutes.
- Always supervise closely.
For Toddlers (1-3 years):
- Follow the standard recipe but consider reducing Bentonite Clay to 1 teaspoon.
- Limit the bath duration to 15 minutes.
- Ensure constant supervision.
For Kids (4 years and older):
- Use the standard recipe as provided.
- Bath duration can be extended to 20 minutes.
- Supervision is still recommended.
- Be cautious as Bentonite Clay can make the tub slippery; ensure your child is safe during and after the bath.
- Check the water temperature to prevent scalding.
- If your child has any skin conditions or health concerns, consult with a healthcare professional before using the detox bath.
- Discontinue use if any irritation occurs.
Tips for an effective Detox bath -
- Make sure you don't wash during a detox bath. The warmth of the water will open up the pores and you want them to absorb the magnesium and other ingredients.
- Make sure you have your little one drink lots of water before, during and after a detox bath. They can make you thirsty!
- If you want to moisturize your little one's skin after the bath, please make sure you use something all natural. Such as a good skin oil or toxin free lotion!
Drop a comment below and let me know how this recipe worked out for you!